International Standard Serial Number (ISSN)
The International Standard Serial Number (ISSN), or International Standard Serial Number (ISSN), is the INTERNATIONAL IDENTIFICATION, which is given to a title or a serial publication that meets the following requirements:
- Appearing in successive or periodic parts.
- Which may include numerical or chronological designations.
- The intention is to continue publishing indefinitely.
This code must be used in:
- Brochures. Periodicals.
- Annual publications (reports, yearbooks, repertories, etc.).
- Thematic or scientific journals.
- General journals.
- Periodicals in mixed media.
- Periodicals recorded in phonogramsFolletos.
The International Standard Serial Number (ISSN) consists of eight digits divided into two groups of four, separated by a script, which include a verifying digit that allows the identification of the serial publication that owns it, in force or no longer published, regardless of place of origin, language or content, as shown below;
It is important to stress that the role of the International Standard Serial Number (ISSN) is to identify the publication and therefore, if the title is significantly modified, a new ISSN number is required.
Materials that SHOULD NOT use International Standard Serial Number (ISSN);
- Price lists.
- Artistic engravings.
- Art folders without text.
- Personal documents.
- Greeting cards.
- Recordings of musical sounds.
- Software intended for educational or instructive purposes.
- Electronic correspondence.
- Chrome albums.
- Photo albums.
- Stamp albums.
- Bookstore catalogues.
- Editorials catalogues.
- Commercial catalogues.
- Advertising catalogues.
- Company statutes Event programmes.
Due to its great importance the National Copyright Institute keeps this service active despite the COVID-19 pandemic, we can help you, remember that in addition to being an obligation against the International Standard Serial Number (ISSN) represents the following advantages;
- Assistance in the awarding of scores or credits for research financing.
- Facilitates inventory control, cataloguing and statistics.
- It allows you to locate publications in any international list, database, catalog and website of any country.
- Facilitates the marketing of publications.
In Bandala | Díaz | García we keep you updated with relevant information about International Standard Serial Number (ISSN).